6 November 2012
Aucklanders encouraged to attend Royal public walk
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall will be visiting Auckland next week as part of the celebration of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
As part of their visit, Aucklanders are being encouraged to take the opportunity to see and meet Prince and Duchess during a public walk in Lower Queen Street on Monday 12 November.
The Prince and Duchess will join Mayor Len Brown and Mayoress Shan Inglis for the walk from the intersection of Queen Street and Customs Street to Queens Wharf at 1.20pm.
However, people are advised to arrive well ahead of time if they want a good view of the Prince and Duchess.
“Many Aucklanders were glued to their televisions, watching the Diamond Jubilee celebrations as they were beamed in live from London,” says Len Brown.
“This visit and particularly the public walk in Lower Queen Street is the opportunity for Aucklanders to be part of the Diamond Jubilee, and recognise the Queen’s 60 years of service.”
Other highlights of the Auckland part of the New Zealand visit:
Saturday 10 November:
- Approx 9.30pm – The Prince and Duchess arrive at the Royal New Zealand Air Force Base, Auckland
Sunday 11 November
- 10.10am – The Prince and Duchess arrive at the Auckland War Memorial Museum for a mihi whakatau
- 11.00am – The Prince and Duchess attend an Armistice Day Commemoration and meet veterans, at Auckland War Memorial Museum
Monday 12 November
- 10.20am – The Prince and Duchess visit AUT Millennium, North Shore, Auckland
- 11.15am – The Prince and Duchess attend performance of Hairy Maclary with hundreds of schoolchildren from Auckland, Bruce Mason Theatre, Takapuna, Auckland
- 12.15pm – The Prince arrives at the Devonport Naval Base to view Sealegs amphibious vessels and HamiltonJet technology before boarding a Coastguard New Zealand vessel to cross Auckland harbour, visiting the Coastguard New Zealand Headquarters at Mechanics Bay, Auckland.
- 12.25pm – The Duchess joins a briefing for Osteoporosis researchers and members of Osteoporosis New Zealand at The Langham Hotel, Auckland.
- 1.20pm – The Prince and Duchess arrive at Lower Queen Street and walk down to Queen’s Wharf, Auckland
- 1.30pm – The Prince arrives at The Cloud to visit the New Zealand Shear Brilliance event, Auckland
- 1.50pm – The Duchess visits East Tamaki Primary School, Auckland
- 2.40pm – The Prince arrives at the University of Auckland’s Owen Glenn Building, and is shown examples of the University’s research and innovation, Auckland
- 7.00pm – The Prince and Duchess attend the Diamond Jubilee Trust Reception and Dinner at the SkyCity Convention Centre, Auckland