During the Christmas and New Year’s holidays, most council rubbish and recycling collections will be one day later than usual.
This will affect collections from Tuesday 25 December (Christmas Day), with the normal collection schedule resuming on Monday 7 January.
The same rules apply for collections over the Auckland Anniversary Day holiday (Monday 28 January), with normal collections resuming on Monday 4 February.
During these holiday periods, there will be no changes to the Thursday night rubbish collections in Parnell and Newmarket, and the CBD will see no changes to rubbish and recycling c
Residents using private collection services should contact their suppliers for their holiday schedules.collections.
Holiday rubbish and recycling tips
- Buy gifts made from recycled material.
- Buy an experien
- esent options with no packaging.
- ce as a gift.
- Send an electronic Christmas card.
- Use reusable shopping bags or reuse carrier bags when shopping for presents.
- Use a Christmas stocking or recycled paper when wrapping smaller presents.
- Look for pr
- Return packaging to the retailer when you buy gifts.
- Cut up old Christmas cards for tags for presents next year.
- Save reusable items like wrapping paper, ribbons and gift bags to use again next year.
- Separate cardboard packaging and gift catalogues for recycling.
- Compost fruit and vegetable peelings from preparation of your festive fare.
- Put selected food waste in the worm farm or bokashi bucket if you have one.
- Pass on unwanted clothing to a charity clothing bin near you.
- Buy an artificial Christmas tree that can be used year after year.
Recycling on holidayRecycle extra glass, cans and plastic bottles used during the festive season.
- Put paper or cards (no glitter or foil) in the paper recycling collection.
- Buy rechargeable batteries for Christmas toys and gadgets.
- Buy native Christmas trees with roots to plant in the garden later on.
- Grow your own native Christmas tree ready for December each year.
- When you’re at the bach, locate your nearest recycling drop-off point.
- Take your recycling home with you after your holiday.
- Recycle bottles and cans to help keep your rubbish out of the beach and ocean.
- Take your bokashi bucket on holiday.
- Check with Sustainable Coastlines for a holiday beach cleanup near you.